Monday, October 09, 2006

Baptism of my Eldest


For eight years I felt that this day would and should never come. We have passed many milestones in the last eight years, a first step, a first word, a first book, his first day of school, and countless pride filled and embarrassing moments. This was a boy that has seemed to take a different road from day one. Born almost 9 lbs he was challenged with numerous allergies, milk, egg, and most challenging, peanuts. Two bouts of RSV as an infant landing him in the hospital a couple nights and leading to weakened lungs. Behind those challenges (not to mention small genes on his mother's side) his growth slowed to the point where we debated if we could ever turn his car seat around.

Small but bright, reading at four, very analytical, tender heart, but be careful if he looses his temper! Pretty good big brother, typical eldest child, a bit bossy. He has a hard time taking turns because he knows he can do it better. I think that is true at both home and school. There are countless stories of his individuality but 8 years was not enough time to prepare me for his baptism last Saturday.

I baptized many people on my mission, I baptized my nephew before I left, I baptized a 300 lb high school buddy. None of those events prepared me for taking my little guy into the font last weekend. The ward found the smallest jumpsuit they make and we still had to roll the pant legs up 4-5 rolls. As he came into the font, the water reached his armpits. I said the prayer and put him under the water and then realized I was putting him so deep into the water that if I brought him up too fast he might get the bends. Of course, knowing some of the things that boy is done, I just knew he had to be down there for a while.

But it didn't really hit me until we were in the changing room, he was dripping and shivering. I was drying his head off and he stopped me, looked up at me, smiled from ear to ear, and said, "Daddy, that was GRRREAT!" Now it may have been a delayed reaction to the frosting his Uncle Dave fed him during his baptism talk but I think he was feeling the warming glow of the Holy Ghost. The realization that my son had recognized the spirit for the first time was overwhelming! That moment surpassed any other for the last eight years. I know there will be more powerful ones in the future, but for now, that moment, just me and my son, was the most special I have had.

2 comments:

Kristine said...

It is a marvelous day to realize that your child is feeling one of the most important things that exist.

I am sorry that we couldn't be there. It sounds like it was wonderful.

We love you Caleb!

Anonymous said...

I finally made it to your blog and have been rewarded with wonderful pictures of you, Jamie and my favorite kids in the whole world (besides my own!) Thank you for sharing the experience of Caleb's baptism. I can't believe he's eight...wait till I tell Tim & Rob that little Caleb is eight! They are going to love the pictures. Thanks