Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Simple Pleasures

How rarely do we stop to enjoy the simple pleasures in life? Even less frequently, how often do we share that emotion, joy, and experience with others? The sharing of an experience can sometimes be as enjoyable as the experience itself. This is actually the entire model that the bloggosphere is based on, is it not? Living life through the shared experiences and emotions of others?

Last night I experienced a rare moment when someone else’s joy, and how they expressed it, made me experience as much if not more joy for completely different reasons.

During the day my wife had made a cheesecake as a gift for her father’s birthday. Although she declared it a “failure” and promptly started looking for a new recipe, we were not going to throw out the baby with the bathwater. I opened a can of blueberry pie filling so we could enjoy the “spoils” of the day. I looked around to see if anyone was watching and took one big lick off the lid, but Mischa caught me and demanded a lick for herself. I obliged and she took a health lick from the lid as well.

After some pause, her eyes grew wide, her smile beamed, she put her hand to her mouth as if she had just been told a shocking secret, and proclaimed “It tastes like paradise in my mouth!”

I couldn’t stop from letting out a laugh, not at her, but rather because she verbalized the emotion we all feel with a particularly sweet indulgence. It certainly was the exact feeling I was having at the time savoring the great taste that only blueberry pie filling can provide!

So here’s to the simple pleasures of life, “ruined” desserts, and a daughter that I wouldn’t trade for the world!

5 comments:

Jamie said...

Dad said that this would probably turn into my birthday present to you, too, lol. I think as parents, we need to remind ourselves to stop and find the joy in the moments, just like our kids do.

Kristine said...

That is very sweet.
It does adequately describe how blueberries make my mouth feel too.

Yum.
I'd like a piece of that "failed" cheesecake.

Papa J said...

See, now this is where you place a link to the kind of blueberry can you have so selfishly decided not to share. Links are good. It may seem like a shameless plug for something to you, but since you're not getting paid for it, what does it hurt? SHARE THE WEALTH.

Mischa wasn't so articulate when you moved... WAH.

Me and The Boys said...

Way cute!! She's definitely a smartie!

Real said...

Re: Your comment on my blog. While Kristine and I might have actually met without either of you being involved (which isn't actually true because the FIRST time I met her was at your reception), the truth is that we wouldn't have recognized each other except that I was talking about my nickname being AD and she knew Jamie had a roommate named AD and asked! And knowing we had a connection made a big difference.