Monday, March 23, 2009

What do you do when your Dr. says you have a weak butt?

Well, after weeks and weeks of trying to avoid the inevitable I finally broke down and went to to the physical therapist last week. I know I should have done it sooner, but hopefully this will be the kick I need to get me back to running without pain. So what did I learn?

First off, my IT Band issue is not a one event injury. What happens is the band rubs on the side of the bone and gets frayed over time. Being white tissue, it just doesn't get the blood flow needed to repair itself. That also means that it takes longer to heal and most of the things I am doing now are to make sure it doesn't fray again.

Next, my physical therapist told me I have a WEAK BUTT!!! Runners have strong legs but the muscles in the hips and buttocks don't get worked with running. With weak glutes your hips flair out further with each stride, tightening the IT Band just at the moment it passes past the knob on the bottom of the femur. Stronger Butt = Less Hip Swing = Less Damage to the IT Band. How does that song go? "Leg bone's connected to the hip bone...."

Prescription? A kick in the REAR! Lots of exercises and stretches for the upper leg and hip. After my appointment with him this morning, I can hardly sit! He has me doing a daily routine that takes up to an hour to complete. I'm not allowed to run for another week but I think I'll be good for Salt Lake next month.

The other thing he has me doing is pinpoint icing my IT Band for 10 minutes 1-2 times a day. I always thought that it was just to prevent inflammation but my PT has told me it has the added benefit of inducing blood flow to the area. Remember how I said that the white tissue doesn't get enough blood flow to help in repair? Well, by making the area supper cold the body says, "HEY, we better send some blood to Sector 7 to warm it back up." That extra blood helps to repair the damaged tissue.

So, if any of you have a desire to start running, don't forget to cross train your butt and hips or risk long term damage to your knees!

1 comment:

Real said...

Did you just say "crosstrain your butt?" Wow.

My doctor just tells me that my legs look great. I think I prefer mine to yours.