Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Funny things kids do

If you haven't noticed, I'm on vacation and finally have some free time to type. I just thought I would share something silly each of my kids has done in recent weeks that made me laugh. Maybe I shouldn't have laughed at some of them, but I did none the less.

Caleb was asked to sing a Solo in church as part of the primary program. We had practiced it quite a bit with him and knew that if he came in on beat and pitch he would nail it. Then a funny thing happened that was not his fault. The fill in pianist (the original got sick on performance day) started to play the wrong song! Brave little Caleb tried to fit "I Know my Father Lives" into the notes that pianist was playing, but it just wasn't working, it was bad. I didn't know if I should laugh, cry, run to his rescue, or just hide my head. The primary president caught the mistake and corrected the pianist. By this point however, Caleb was so flustered that he didn't know where he was. It wasn't until about halfway through the first verse that the two found a common timing and it was early in the second verse when Caleb finally found the right key. I was so proud of his stick to it attitude. By the end he was belting it out perfectly and everyone there commended him for his patience and lovely singing. I wasn't laughing at the time but I can laugh about it now!

The kids Grandmother sent them some books recently. Michaela found the 300 page Book of Amazing Facts and proceeded to read the entire thing over a 2 day period. The next morning as I awoke her from her sleep she rolled over, rubbed the sleepiness from her eyes, and before so much as a yawn or a "good morning dad" she blurted out quite matter of factly, "Did you know that when the dinosaurs were on the earth there were only two continents?" I don't want to know what her dream had been about!

This morning I found my youngest in the hall holding a butterfly net. She was hitting the floor where about half a dozen ants had stumbled across a frosted flake. The best part though was that while she was merrily whacking away, she was singing along "Da Da Da Daaaaa Daaaaaaaa, Da Da Da Daaaaaaaaaa Daaa, Da Da Da Daaaaaaaaaaaa Daaa, Da Da Da Daaaaaaaa..." For the untrained hummer, that is the Star Wars theme. I don't know if ants are part of the Rebel Alliance or the Empire but they were suffering a little light saber justice!

The funniest moment of all came last night from my little Josh Josh. Around 10pm we heard him crying upstairs. From experience we knew that that generally meant he has to go potty and is having problems. I ran upstairs unprepared for what I found. He had indeed woken up needing to use the restroom but some other factors had conspired against him. He was wearing a pair of jammies for the first time that snapped at the waist and had not figured out how to unsnap them. But worst of all, his left foot was asleep and he couldn't walk on it. In his groggy state this was too much for him to process simultaneously. I found him in the middle of his dark room, eyes closed, one hand pinching off the flow, the other hand pulling on his pajama bottoms, and hopping in circles on his one good foot. Unfortunately my laughter was not very consoling and he was mad at me despite the fact that I rescued him and carried him to the toilet...

No comments: