Thursday, May 15, 2008

Diabetes Action Team

The votes are in. Maybe you didn’t see the evolution as closely as I did but things changed over the week of voting quite a bit. Autism jumped out to an early commanding lead but diabetes won with a 1 vote margin getting a come from behind win on the final day of the poll. As I reflected on the results the more I realized that I am happy with the result. That is not to say any of the other causes are any less important but what really got me running? Fear of diabetes. What really sustained me in my weight loss efforts? Not wanting to diabetes to dictate my life.

Maybe after this first one I will turn and do additional marathons raising funds for other causes. Who knows? I hope none of you are disappointed that I haven’t chosen the cause that has impacted or is impacting you and your family. Heck, I even went against the vote of my own mother on this…
Where do I and hopefully you go from here? I have set up a website with the Diabetes Action Team. It is a tax-deductible non-profit organization supporting research and education of diabetes. Through that site you can make a secure online donation. If you are not comfortable with that, let me know and there is a way to make offline donations as well. I am asking for your support in reaching my fundraising goal of $1,000. If I get there quickly I may raise my goal, but for now, having never done this before, 4 figures is a bit of a stretch. Anything you are comfortable giving would be appreciated.

Let’s face it, not too many people read this blog so if you do you most likely will be getting an e-mail from me as well. Please don’t feel pressured to donate, that is not my intent. I’m just trying to do the most good with the efforts I am putting forward. Thanks again for all you do to support me.

No comments: