Tuesday, May 27, 2008

First Donor

I sent out my emails last Friday letting everyone in my address book know about my fundraising efforts through the Diabetes Action Team. I heard from a couple people almost immediately via phone and a handful told me they would be making a donation for which I am very grateful. The website emails me each time a donation has been made in my name. Less than an hour after the email went out I got word of my first donation.

If you visit the donation site you will see that single donation scroll by on the continuous "Honor Roll". The donor requested anonymity on the honor roll so I won't reveal his identity here but I will say I was a bit surprised. Not that this guy would donate, but that he was the first to respond. My anonymous donor was a college classmate that I haven't seen or spoke to in over 12 years and I have only communicated I think 2-3 times via email in that time frame. I am honored that someone so remote in my past would contribute to my effort.

I am not a good fund raiser. My kids NEVER sell magazines, candy, or anything the school wants them to hock for the "Super-Seller-Reward". In high school my ROTC program had to sell raffle tickets and everyone was required to sell at least 10. I think my parents bought 9, if not all 10 every single year. It is very humbling for me to ask my friends and family to support me in this and I will never be "pushy". If you got an email, you are not going to get another one, if you didn't get an email, it is because I don't have your address or I had an old outdated one as a few got kicked back to me (there are a few that my wife may have that still may get an email as well).

But I am on my way. I am now 2.5% closer to my goal. I hope no one feels pressure to donate as I appreciate your support in whatever form you give it be it donation, good wishes, or silent prayers... For those of you plotting my downfall, that may be a different story!

No comments: