Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Getting Washed Out by Tropical Storm Fay

First off, this post is in no way meant to deminish the gut wrenching impact and flooding that some have suffered as a result of Fay!

It is odd to think that over the course of my marathon training I have had very little weather to work around. Perhaps that is a function of the drought we have been suffering for close to two years here. I encountered my first weather obstacle this week.

What was left of Tropical Storm Fay dropped close to 4 inches of rain on North Georgia (over 8 inches in spots) over the last 3 days. Getting out of bed at 5am can be hard enough. Getting out of bed at 5am to run in the rain is more than I was able to rise too (ok, pun intended). So where has that left me?

Monday night I ran on the treadmill - yuck! Once you have tasted running through nature, running on a treadmill is BORING! (but doable in a pinch) Last night I went for a run through slight drizzle (I didn't have to wake up and do it). The river that runs by the wetlands I run in had overflowed its banks and was actually flooding the wetlands, instead of the other way around. An 1/8th of a mile section of trail I run was under water. It was IMPRESSIVE. As I didn't run again this morning, drizzle, I may have to do another evening run.

With my trip last week and the rain this week, I actually haven't gone for a 5am run for almost 2 full weeks now. The longer I go, the harder I know it will be to get back into that routine. Ironically, by running at night to make up for the missed morning run I actually make it harder to wake up less than 8 hours later and go out to run, continuing the cycle...

We really did need the rain here so I can tolerate the impact I guess... just so long as Gustav doesn't derail me again! Happy running to all!

BTW, just 2.5 weeks to my next 10k and Jamie's 5k. She is going to do great!

2 comments:

Jamie said...

Second ya on the BORING!!!! treadmill. Wish I could get out more. Guess I'll just have to wait a little longer for the weather to cool down during the day for some bike rides with Liesie.

kodiak73 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.