Saturday, October 20, 2007

First Full Half Marathon Training Run

Just wanted to write about my first full 13.1 mile run. I have done a handfull of training runs between 10 and 12.4 miles but this morning I ran my first full Half Marathon. I probably won't run that far again until race day about a month away now. Most professionals training schedules actually never require you to run the full race distance before race day but I wanted at least one run under my belt for confidence sake. For full marathons most training programs never go over 20 miles long runs before the 26.2 race day distance.

If you are interested in my time, I came in at almost 2 hours exactly. Do the math and that is an average of 9:10 per mile. The actual race course has more hills than the pathway I run each Saturday so my goal on race day is also 2 hours. Based on how much I still had in the tank at the end of my run today I think that will be doable - at least I hope so.

Little tidbits I have learned about running this distance that you don't encounter on shorter runs: 1) you MUST hydrate mid-run. For this I wear a hydration belt which gives me an extra 40 ounces of Gatorade. 2) extra carbs mid-run give a great boost. Most runners do this with an energy gell like Gu but you can also use special jelly beans or some form of energy bar. The key is something that is quick and easy and doesn't require much chewing that might disrupt. and 3) everyone thinks of the shoes but I am telling you that although important on shorter runs the socks are KEY on the longer runs if you don't want blisters. I am partial to Balega Enduros and not just because they are made in South Africa.

I give you these tips because I did it WRONG the first time and I don't want anyone to have to go through that! And 200 is so close I can smell it. I have been 203 for the last three days and you would think that my run would have done the job but with all the hydration I do I finished the run at 200.8. I'm pretty sure I'll be there by race day though.

2 comments:

Me and The Boys said...

I bet you do need big socks and shoes for those big toes of yours! ;) Thats awesome that your this great marathon runner... i'm jealous of all the exercise you are getting!

Incognito said...

That's great! Congrats on running a marathon. Nothing I would ever imagine or care to participate in. But kudos to you!!