Monday, September 08, 2008

FAILURE - Overcome

I wanted to put up a follow-up post to my previous FAILURE post. I said at the time that I would re-run the 18 miler on September 6th, correct the errors I made the first time, and pray for a better result. By all accounts, I think I succeeded in my efforts. It was not perfect, but it was good enough to keep me motivated to continue. So what did I do differently?

The first big change I made was being hydrated to start with. I can't tell you how much I drank on Friday, but based on the fact that I had to get up in the middle of the night... it was enough. If anything, too much.

The next change was the time of day. Instead of the 9:30 start time in 75 degree weather that had me finishing after noon in 85 degrees, this time I started just a little after 6:30 in 65 degrees and finishing by 9:30 in 75 degrees... BIG DIFFERENCE.

I also changed the course slightly. To get 18 miles the first time I ran 2.3 miles to the shaded "Greenway" which is a 6 mile trail, .7 miles past the far end, and the the same course back. While the Greenway is shaded for 95% of its length, the 2.3 and .7 mile stretches are not. Some of the hardest running was that final 2.3 miles in noon day sun. To avoid the additional heat I overloaded the front end of the run to 4.39 miles by running around my neighborhood more, cut out the 1.4 miles in the middle of the run, and took the shortest path back from the Greenway at the end of the run, 1.65 miles.

The last and I think very important part of my success was including my wife. She ran the first 4 miles with me. We went at a relaxed (for me) 12:40 pace. That allowed me to warm up slowly and really break my run into two parts. At the 4 mile mark she turned for home and I continued to the Greenway. She was a great trooper and I was impressed by just how far she has come in a few short months. The first time we ran she walked most hills and we stopped several times over the 1.5 miles we covered. This time we cut several minutes per mile off and we stopped only twice the entire run. She is ready for her 5k... IMHO.

So how did it go? Strong. After separating from Jamie I pushed hard with a goal of running the last 14 miles at 9 minute pace. After I logged the next 7 miles at 8:30-8:40 pace I decided that perhaps I was pushing too hard and should slow down to ensure my success of finishing. Tapering off to 9 minute pace I cruised comfortably all the way through the Greenway portion of the course. When I emerged onto the road portion I noted some slight discomfort in one of my calves but not enough to slow me down. I pushed hard and ran the last 1.65 miles in easily under 9 minute pace.

All in all it took me 2:56:57 to run 18.04 miles. That averages out to 9:48 pace. It was :40 slower per mile than my goal time for my marathon, but still a successful run. I didn't stop a single time the last 14 miles, no cramps, no walking, no near death experience. Guess I have to keep going with this foolish plan...

I'm running a 10k race this weekend (Jamie is running the corresponding 5k), but my next distance is 20 miles on the 20th... wish me luck!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to see that you worked it out. You're really racking up the mileage. Here's wishing you both luck!

Jamie said...

I'm glad to see your warm up walk did you some good ; )

Real said...

Hey, I finally dug out the letters you sent me from your mission. I want to scan them in and send them to you for you to share with Jamie. What's your email address?

kodiak73 said...

As my facebook friend you should be able to look on my profile and get it...

Papa J said...

Bro. You're an inspiration. We went to mom and dad's for the weekend. I found myself missing my Saturday workout and so I took myself for the first full half-hour jog I've done since 5th grade. (My calves were hurting within minutes, but I did the whole half hour.)